24 November 2005

Holiday Traditions, old and new

It's been an interesting day. This morning, we went out and had Thanksgiving dinner at the Wheeler Army Air Field dining hall, along with quite a number of other people from my wife's unit. On Thanksgiving, the meal in the dining hall is served by the unit commanders and the senior NCOs, which is a nice tradition, even if it did feel a little strange to ask a full colonel wearing dress blues for a second helping of the cornbread dressing.

Right now we're sitting on the sofa watching a great old holiday show - Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving. I've seen it so many times that I can almost recite the script, and I'm finding my mind wandering onto topics that it never used to - like the cannibalistic implications in Woodstock tucking in to a big old turkey dinner - but the kids love the corny old show almost as much as I used to. And, truth be told, still do.

There's a lot to be said for Thanksgiving and for family traditions.

I hope all of you have enjoyed yours.

No comments: